On July 6, 2011, the Fenton Art Glass Company announced that it would cease production of its collectible and giftware glass products. The company has faced financial challenges since its restructuring in 2007, and recent developments combined to force the shutdown of its traditional glassmaking business.
Founded as a decorating company in Martins Ferry, Ohio, in May 1905 by brothers Frank L. Fenton and John W. Fenton, the Fenton Art Glass Co. constructed its factory in Williamstown during the fall of 1906. The first glass pieces were made there on January 2, 1907. During its 106-year history, Fenton introduced the first iridescent war (now known as “Carnival glass”) as well as classic patterns such as Hobnail and a wide variety of handmade colored art glass as limited editions.